At The Writing Center of Princeton, Susan shows you how to maximize your chances by writing admission-winning essays.
You’ve seen the numbers and you know the facts:
The number of students applying to college is staggering and the competition is brutal.
As a result, the college application essays have taken on all new importance. In fact, in today’s competitive academic climate, your common application essay and supplemental essays often determine whether you are accepted or denied admission. Many admissions officers even refer to the common application essay as “The Deal Breaker.”
Why? The common application essay and the supplemental essays are the only documents you submit that show admissions officers who you are, behind the transcript. That’s important because admissions officers know that your attributes and interests–not just the grades you earned—are highly predictive of your potential for success in college.
Susan knows the key qualities that admissions officers look for in application essays, and she teaches you how to exploit that information to maximize your chances.
At The Writing Center of Princeton, Susan is dedicated to helping you pick topics that show how you stand out from all other applicants. At the same time, she teaches you how to turn your essays into strategic marketing documents that not only sell you, but that add value to your brand.
WHAT SUSAN’S STRATEGIC APPROACH TEACHES YOU
• How to choose essay topics that admissions officers like to read
• How to find topics that highlight how you are both uniquely qualified and the ideal student for the colleges to which you are applying
• Ways to synthesize multiple aspects of your experience in one essay to showcase more than one interest or talent
• How to write attention-grabbing first sentences
• How to write in a distinctive and memorable way
• Writerly techniques for striking the right tone; not too boastful but not shy
• To revise with a special emphasis on impact, formal organization, effective use of details, and clarity and correctness at the sentence level
• How to use tricks professional writers use to polish your essay
• How to strategize the supplemental essays to maximize their impact
• Strategic ways to write a brag sheet that highlight not just your scores and accomplishments but your personal attributes as well
• How to write a resume that says “This is the student we want!”
• Simple ways to direct letter writers to use targeted, detailed language that will represent your attributes as well as accomplishments
• How to add value to your college portfolio starting in 9th and 10th grade
• How to reduce your application stress
How does Susan differ from
typical college application essay prep services?
• Susan doesn’t waste time with instruction that is not designed for you. Instead all lessons are tailored to meet your individual needs.
• Susan is a long-time educator and professional writer and she uses both her educational smarts and her writing smarts to help you write essays that will secure your acceptance.
• Susan brings her hands-on experience as a former interviewer for Vassar College to each tutorial.
Susan offers one-on-one instruction at The Writing Center of Princeton or in your home. Online tutoring is available via Skype. All lessons customized to meet the unique needs of each student. All instruction is available as individual lessons or discounted packages.
All instruction is conducted in a private, distraction-free environment.
Colleges to which Susan’s students have been accepted
FROM THE PARENTS
“The college application process is absolutely nerve-racking, but Susan gave us peace of mind. She developed a personal action plan with our daughter and kept us all on track. Susan really knows what she’s doing: she thinks strategically and teaches in a focused, positive manner. We all enjoyed working with her.”
– Dheena P., parent of 12th grader